Sunday, February 19, 2012

Blog post #3


Michael Wesch: A Vison of Students Today

Personally, I have experienced a lot of what this video showed. I've been in a classes that had well over 100 students. I've spent money on books that has pilled in my trunk and collected dust. I've had classmates to only show on test days. I've had teachers to not know my name. Trust me I've had what I call the "true" college experience. At times I've felt like I was being robbed of a well deserved education.

I believe that this video is trying to show that professors are laging behind in the "Technology Age" and it very well shows the affects that it has on students. College is a place where students depend on for their future. How can students learn if they are so bored and fed up with the repetitive system of school which leads to students feeling like what is being taught is worthless. You know, this makes me think about the question Dr. Strange asked on first day of class. Should teachers be technology literate? Why not incorporate the internet and the social media websites in learing if you know that your students spends most of his/her time on it. Think about all the possibilities that would spark in a class if they were! 


Dr. Strange is really setting an example with EDM 310. What if we had to attend this class twice a week and listen to Dr. Strange lecture about how to do the the things we do instead of actually letting us do them? We would be bored out of our minds! Instead Dr. Strange is allowing us to aid in independent learning.

Technology is here and isn't going anywhere, so let's get with the program!




MathBoard    
I choose a math app because many students find this difficult subject to be a challenge, trust me I know!  I want to be able to make learning this key subject enjoyable and memorable much as possible. So after searching, I ran across Math Board.  MathBoard is a fantastic app for teaching addition, subtraction, multiplication and division problems   I also choose this app because it's suitable is for all ages.

Here are a few MathBoard features that I absolutley love:
- A quiz can be timed, and timing can be set as a countdown timer or elapsed time.
- A quiz can be saved making it simple to replay a similar quiz or the same quiz at a later date.
- Wrong answers are reviewable with both the incorrect and correct answer.  You can even generate a quiz from just the wrong answers.
-Explains the required steps to solve various types of problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment